Thursday, February 5, 2009

Love Notes


Before the world of email and texting there was such thing as 'notes'. You know......handwritten pieces of paper that you would then fold intricately and pass to your friend. Growing up, notes were equivalent to texts today. Communication between friends. Back in the day you would write a note using your best handwriting and a colored pen made it even better. You'd dot your letter i's with big circles, draw fun pictures, and figure your own unique way to fold your notes. Once complete, you would discretely pass this note to your friends. I say 'discretely' because I was a victim of having a note intercepted by my teacher in 6th grade. Of course our class rule was no note passing. So, for my punishment my teacher read my note out loud to the class. I cannot remember what it said, I just remember being totally mortified that my secret thoughts meant only for my friend were now a public announcement. Despite the humiliation, I just kept writing notes.
In Junior High, this was the ritual between classes. Everyone would pass notes as they would pass in the halls. The notes contained communication for who to sit by at lunch, the topic of a pop quiz in math, and who might have a secret crush on you. I loved writing notes. In fact, a drawer in my dresser was dedicated to collecting all of my notes. Just recently I stumbled upon some I had saved and had a good laugh reading them.
Since my kids don't email or text yet, they are into writing notes. The last few weeks have been full of notes delivered to all within our household. Maybe it's the love of St.Valentine in the air. I love the fact that my kids think I am cool enough to write me a note. Tony has even received a few. For fun I thought I'd share just a few that made me smile. Now I keep a drawer for my kids notes. All the sweet remembrances that I want to hold on to. For I know the day will come when they will text and email instead of write notes. And by then it probably won't be cool to send them to your mom.



(Lauren's notes. Translation: 'Thank you dad for being my movie buddy')

4 comments:

Cami said...

Cute! I love how little kids spell. They just write it exactly how is sounds! I was a big note writer back in the day too, except I never got caught. Sorry!

Jen Jenkins said...

I remember writing you a few doosies myself. You should share some more things that are in that dresser drawer... I bet the antiques roadshow would be interested.

allredclan said...

Oh, how I adore my love notes, too. They are priceless to me. My favorites are those, like Connor's, where they "fenetickly" sound out the words. Absolutely darling. =) Great post.

sweet nectar sara said...

those are so sweet!
i too was a big note writer, i loved it when i opened my locker and one that had been squeezed in would fall out :)